What is Xeomin?
Xeomin is the newest form of botulinum toxin used to eliminate wrinkles on the upper face. It is a pure protein without added accessory proteins, lessening the likelihood of antibody buildup. Therefore, Xeomin eliminates the “immunity” concern; and it should not become less effective with repeat treatments. Xeomin is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum serotype A. Like Botox and Dysport, Xeomin works by inhibiting the release of acetylcholine resulting in muscles that are less contracted, hence less wrinkled. Xeomin’s effects are confined to where it is injected; therefore treating one area will not affect others. Results can be seen about 7 days post treatment and can last about 4 months (both equivalent to Botox).
How does Dr. Davis use Xeomin?
Dr. Davis mainly injects Xeomin into the muscles on the upper face. She can eliminate the horizontal lines of your forehead that make you look old and worried. She can minimize the vertical frown lines between your eyebrows (the “11” lines) that can result in an angry expression. She also injects Xeomin into the lines around the outer corners of your eyes (the crow’s feet) to diminish wrinkling there. She can inject Xeomin into a creased chin to make it smooth. Dr. Davis can also inject Xeomin into the outer eyebrows to raise them, “opening up” a hooded eye. She can even inject Xeomin into the skin below the nose to raise a nasal tip that is “drooping.”
How often will I need to get Xeomin for treatment of my wrinkles?
For optimum results, Dr. Davis recommends treatment every 4 months. The more frequently you come in, the better your results will be, since you want to prevent the muscles from returning to baseline contraction. By coming in for treatment just as muscle activity resumes, you can continue to further relax the muscles and iron-out even the deepest of folds.
Is Xeomin safe?
Yes. Xeomin has been used by physicians worldwide since 2005 and was introduced in the United States in 2010 by Merz Pharmaceuticals, LLC. It will be launched for use nationwide in March of 2012. Dr. Davis’ office was one of the few selected sites to launch in November, 2011.
Are there any side effects from Xeomin treatment?
In rare cases, the product can spread to surrounding muscles causing temporary weakness. In very rare instances, drooping of the eyelid or asymmetry of the face can appear. However, all of these side effects are reversible (some immediately with added Xeomin) or last at most just a few weeks. For this reason, we recommend that you do not wear a hat, headband, or visor just after your Xeomin treatment in order to minimize shifting of the medication. Similarly, we ask you to avoid exercise for 48 hours after treatment. We also recommend that you remain upright for 1 hour after your injections.
Less common theoretical side effects include problems swallowing, speaking, or breathing if Xeomin spreads away from the injection site to the deep neck muscles (when treating neck bands). This would be extremely rare and has never occurred with Xeomin, which is produced by Merz Pharmaceuticals, a reputable European pharmaceutical company. Xeomin has been thoroughly tested and is FDA approved; which is why we feel safe purchasing this product for use in our office.
How should I prepare for my Xeomin treatment with Dr. Davis?
There are certain things we recommend adhering to for about a week prior to your procedure. These tips will help reduce bruising, bleeding, and swelling during and after the treatment.
Avoid the following:
- All pain relievers except Tylenol (acetaminophen): avoid Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn and even low dose baby aspirin (unless recommended by your physician).
- Vitamin E and all multi vitamins containing Vitamin E. Foods high in Vitamin E should also be avoided such as: sunflower seeds, dry roasted almonds, olives, papaya, spinach, arugula, broccoli, blueberries.
- Cinnamon and horseradish
- Herbal remedies such as St. John’s Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginger Root, Fish Oil, etc.
- Alcoholic beverages (optional)
Take the following:
We recommend that you purchase Arnica tablets, which can be bought at health food and vitamin stores. Follow the instructions on the package; you can start as early as a few days before your procedure. We suggest that you take them at least the day before and the day of the treatment. You may also want to take them after.
An alternative supplement to minimize bruising after the treatment is Bromelain (Pineapple extract). You can take 500mg twice a day for 3 days following a procedure. You should begin taking Bromelain the day of your treatment, after the procedure has been completed. Bromelain can be taken in addition to or instead of Arnica tablets, though Bromelain should not be taken before the treatment, only after.
Is there any special care that needs to be taken after Xeomin treatment with Dr. Davis?
We recommend the following after your Xeomin procedure.
- You must be upright for the first hour after treatment.
- If you wish to read, make sure you bring the document, magazine, book, etc., up to eye level.
- Work the Xeomin into the muscles treated, i.e. forehead (raise and lower your eyebrows), frown (move brows in and out) and crow’s feet (smile and relax) repeatedly.
- Do not wear a hat, baseball cap, visor or a headband as this will push the Xeomin down, resulting in a lower brow.
- Do not exercise for at least 48 hours after the treatment. Avoid cardio training such as elliptical, treadmill, biking and running. Avoid yoga and Pilates. You may do stationary weight training, as long as your head remains still.
- If you wish to apply makeup post treatment, make sure you apply it upright on your forehead and downward on your crow’s feet.